Using the Calendar and Events Blocks in Moodle
Upcoming events block
The Upcoming events block displays future events in a summarized list.
Events are generated directly from the calendar and/or activity deadlines, providing a link to full details or directly to the activity.
There are also links to Go to calendar... and add a New event....
- If you click on a date, you will go to the day-view calendar for that day.
- If the title of the event is a link, and you click on it, you will be taken to that event.
The Calendar block displays the following events:
• Global (event viewable in all courses - created by admin users)
• Course (event viewable only to course members - created by teachers)
• Groups (event viewable only by members of a group - created by teachers)
• User (personal event a student user can create - viewable only by the user)
If you hover over a date, it will display information regarding that day with a link to the activity or event details. Activities due dates are automatically displayed in the calendar as course events.
Add a calendar event
Students may add "User events" to their personal Moodle calendars. A user event is a private event. Only the student can see it.
1. Locate the “Upcoming Events” block on the course page, and click on the "New event" link. If you do not see the “Upcoming events” block, your instructor may not have enabled it for the course.
2. You may see options to add a user, group, course, or site event. If you do, choose “User event.”
3. Give the event a name. Try to avoid generic names. Be specific.
4. Add a helpful description.
5. Choose your date and time, duration and repeat settings. Click the "Save changes" button to save.
6. Your event has been added to your calendar. You may edit or delete your entry by clicking on the edit or delete buttons.
Next: Review the "Technical Requirements and Suggestions" page.